Happy Birthday Muhammad Ali

Muhammad Ali is seventy! Not only is he the Greatest boxer and sportsman of all time; not only is he one of the most recognizable personalities on Earth, Muhammad Ali has been one of the most active African-American campaigners ever. Mainly, two things drove Ali's life and activism: his being a Muslim and his being Black. A woman once said to him, "Why are you always throwing your blackness at us?" Muhammad Ali replied, "Why are you always throwing your whiteness at me? Take that white Jesus off the wall. I know a lot of black women who are prettier than these white Miss Americas. And how come devil's food cake is black and angel food cake is white?"

And he once stated: "I've done wrestled with an alligator. That's right! I've wrestled an alligator. I've tussled with a whale. I handcuffed lightning. Thrown thunder in jail. That's bad! Only last week, I murdered a rock. Injured a stone. Hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick!". That is Ali. For some, he is outrageous. For millions - he is Outspoken. And for millions, he is: a People's Champion, a Legend, an Icon, a Symbol, a Role Model and one of the Greatest African-American Revolutionaries and Inspirations  ever. Happy Birthday Muhammad Ali!

+ ESPN

Photo: AskMen 

Popular Posts