What Have Yemenis Been Googling For In 2012?

With 2012 coming to a close, I have been wondering what Yemenis and people from the Arab world have been searching for, most, on the Internet. As Google is the top Search Engine in the Middle East, the best means to know what is being searched for is by looking at the revamped and redesigned 'Google Trends' and check results for 2012. Google Trends is Google Search, that shows how often a particular search-term is entered relative to the total search-volume across various regions of the world, and in various languages. I am not shocked by Trends' results, but it is disheartening, and in away - humiliating - to know the kind of trivialities we search for in the region. Below I have the results for the top searches for Yemen from the 'Web' and from 'Images' for 2012:

Yemen -  Web Hot Searches - 2012
Yemen -  Images Hot Searches - 2012
I can understand people searching on the Net for Facebook most of the time; I can understand people being materialistic and being obsessed with searching for Samsung Galaxyand I can understand people, men in particular, being sensual. But in a country as conservative and as religious as Yemen is, to have people using such a powerful, potent, very useful and yet free tool as the Internet - and use it to search most of the time for such trivialities as: صورسكس ,بنات ,صورة الجنس ,صورالجماع ,اغاني صورةامراةعارية, sikis and so on, I can not understand. And I find this most shameful and degrading.

Note: Yemen and most Arab countries, do not appear on Google's Zeitgeist for 2012.

Popular Posts