Is It Because Of The Name?

Barack Hussein Obama. In American politics today, that name is the hottest. I have written on the man - twice, before: last August and as recently, as a few weeks ago. When Mr. Obama declared his interest in the next American presidential election, I knew he would be ferociously and mercilessly attacked; but, I didn't expect it to be this much and this early.

My interest in Barack, is not only due to his East African origin, or his having a Muslim father; my interest in the man, ever since he became the Illinois senator and the only African-American senator today - has been mainly because he reminds me of two of America's presidents whom I have liked and admired most in my life time: Kennedy and Clinton. And then, there's that belief (illusion?) that I have always had of America: the land of opportunity and of fulfilling dreams. A place where any one with determination and brains can make it and become whatever he wants; irrespective of race, religion, gender or belief. No doubt Barack is determined and no doubt, he has brains; but will/can he make it?

Why should I be interested in who is in the White House? I have realised, time and again, that my life and of those around me is/are affected many times, directly or indirectly by the resident of that house. If it wasn't solely for the present occupant of the Oval Office - would Iraq be as bloody and messy as it is right now? Would the Middle East be as volatile and as explosive as it is today?

As for his name: Barack (Barak) is an East African name used by Muslims there, meaning - blessed. Obama, is in no way Islamic or Arabic, but a name taken purely from the Kenyan Luo language. And whoever is trying to make similarities between that and Osama, is misinformed or trying to be utterly malicious of Mr. Obama. On the other hand, it shows America's, current, very negative obsession with Islam and America's present xenophobic tendencies. Still, ...a rose By any other name would smell as sweet; and so, whatever his enemies and detractors might say about him, Obama will always be Obama. A Kennedy and a Clinton in one; and: an American at heart and in mind who would serve his own, first and foremost; and serve he would, I believe - wisely and with foresight. And I have no doubt, he wants to serve America and Americans first and most, and America's best interests. Period.

Comments

Jed Carosaari said…
I'm right with you brother. The guy's the bomb! And he went to my alma matre to boot. President Obama would be awesome.

Sadly, the polls are leaning pretty strongly to Mrs. Clinton, who apologized for extending traditional greetings to Arafat's wife, in order to get the NY Jewish vote. I'd only vote for her if I had to. My only hope is that we're still a year from the first primaries, and polls can change a lot in that time. Clinton has had a lot of time to set up name recognition; Obama's is just beginning.

And you're right on about how you should be concerned. If I ran the world...whoever ran for US President would still have to be an American, but the rest of the world would get to have a vote too- as long as the US is sticking it's nose into the rest of the world. Twould be different if we weren't trying to be the Earth's policemen. But since we are, the rest of the world has a right to have a say. No taxation without representation.
Anonymous said…
Salamaat,
I highly doubt Obama will win, he is BLACK and associated however indirectly with ISLAM, I doubt the bible belt (midwest et al) is ready for a black president with a name that rhymes with Osama.

I do admire him greatly though and he has charisma and personal magnetism that got him to where he is.

America is a land of opportunities, it's really not an illusion. I don't know, I used to speak ill of this country a lot, but honestly when compared to anywhere else in the world, in terms of participation, political rights, etc. I would still choose america, despite its flaws.

Hilary? I won't vote for her if she were the last woman standing. She has cast her weight with the Jews and more importantly Israel, and she has more than once insulted muslims for the sake of the lobbyists. I have no respect for her, I think she will do whatever is necessary to get to power and stay in power..that doesn't speak of principles to me.

even though i know I might lose my vote, I would still vote for Obama and if he doesn't make it past the primaries, I still would go for Nader or something before I give it to hilary. She scares me honestly.
nzm said…
Maliha: I agree with you - Hilary is scary. I used to admire her because I thought that she was intelligent and what the US needed, but her comments over Dubai's DP World buyout of P&O which gave them control over 6 US ports made me lose all respect that I had for her.

Unfortunately though, she may have the edge - unless someone can convince Rudi Giuliani to run too!

Obama would be terrific as President, but I think that he's still too green in terms of experience. Give him some time - another 8-9 years, and there'll be a whole new generation of voters who will have hopefully overcome the silliness being created right now around anyone being Muslim and US President!
Anonymous said…
Abdul Habib - within hours, we will know whether Barack is in; and in a years time, we will know if he is on. Politics being as strange as it is, I won't be surprised if Hillary chooses Barack as her vice presidenitial running mate if she wins; and vise-versa.

Maliha - the question is: is America ready for an African-American or a female president? Americans pride themselves in their democracy and liberty, but may be they are not yet ready for neither. I am relieved for your assurance that - the US is still the best place for fulfilling dreams and hopes.

NZM - of the two - Bill and Hillary, Hillary seems to be the most ambitious. An old American friend of mine, ones correctly predicted that due to her ambitiousness and greed for power, Hillary would go for the presidency one day. That was almost nine years ago.
Jed Carosaari said…
A Barack-Clinton ticket- now that I could vote for.
Anonymous said…
Yes: Barack and Clinton. If that's to be, I am certain they would win. Whatever, it's most likely the Democrats will be in the White House in November 2008.
Anonymous said…
I think it is the toughest race so far. A race between a Black and a White. A race between a Man and a Woman. Many pple will go out to vote for the wrong reasons not for the right reasons to get a proper candidate who would lead their country and also affect the millions of lives world wide. It is really interesting to hear how they badly paint Obama. We all have our eyes/ears glued to this campaign. SF
Anonymous said…
SF - the toughest and most captivating in America's history. We too have our eyes and ears open here; I do hope Americans choose a leader who can positively represent them. If they are being wrongly lead, Americans can only blame themselves.

Popular Posts