The Splendor Of Hadhramout

Mountain landscapes, pure blue skies and seas, golden beaches, exotic nights, pristine deserts, the nobility of an unspoiled nature and the prodigious splendor of amazing architecture - unique to anywhere else on Earth! That's Hadhramaut! The seat of the ancient Arab Civilization.

Hadhramout is the Governorate with the largest territory in The Republic of Yemen with diverse relief divided into coastal plains comprising of many enchanting beaches on the Arabian Sea, Mountains and hills reaching 2000m above sea level and extensive areas of the Empty Quarter. There are also many wadis, the biggest of which is Wadi Hadhramout and its many tributaries. Wadi Hadhramout runs nearly 165 km into Saihout in Mahara Governorate.

What captured my imagination most of all, when arriving first in Hadhramout way back in the Eighties - was the trully amazing architecture that I saw around! Grandiose mosques and palaces, high storied buildings, exquisitely decorated buildings - some on steep slopes of mountains, and yet - incredibly, all built of only: clay, straw and mud! "Most unique is the city of Shibam, the Arab "Manhattan," where the first "sky-scrapers" in the world were built. Wadi Hadramout is more than 200km long and looks just like the famous Grand Canyon of America. Enclosed by steep and very high mountains and canyons, this fertile valley stretches before you like a green carpet."

The interiors of these buildings, are as painstakingly and exquisitely decorated as the outside; and due to the mud walls, even during the hottest seasons - are always cool. Sadly, very sadly - this old, splendid architecture style - is now being replaced all over Hadhramout by ugly, concrete and steel buildings!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow!The architecture is just amazing!And what about the old buildings,I thought that the govt was trying to preserve them or something that they have become historical buildings or such.
sf
Anonymous said…
Some of the old buildings are being preserved; the problem, is that - most Yemenis just don't realise and appreciate how valuable and beautiful the old style architecture is. They think the concrete & steel box like buildings are better.

Here in Hadhramout, some of the best and most attractive old buildings can be found in Tarim, Seiyoun, Shibam and Mukalla. In Mukalla, I have seen some of the old buildings being destroyed only to be replaced with the new, ugly style!
Anonymous said…
Dear Brother Omar

I am a second-generation Arab (my paternal and maternal grandfather both came from Tareem). I was born in Singapore in 1947 - my own experience of Hadhramaut has been limited to one visit in 1999. I spent a week in Sana'a attending a conference (of Mu'tarabin)followed by ten days in Tareem and Seiyun. What I saw during the short visit was an eye-opener. I think it will be educational to get as many young people to visit the land oftheir forefathers - I plan to bring them (group tours) to Yemen. I know our youth are keen to see Hadhramaut.

I don't have a web page. My email is: ba_ghareeb@yahoo.com
Anonymous said…
I hope you bring your friends to Hadhramout.

Popular Posts