A Visit To Hajereyn

I still recall my first visit and view of Hajereyn in late 1984. I had just arrived in Yemen for the first time, and my younger brother wanted to show me around Hadhramaut; Hajereyn or Al'Hajereyn, in the Do'an valley, was one of the first places he took me to. I have never forgotten the site; I found it much more awesome than the old historic city of Shibam. The whole Do'an valley, is so magical and awe inspiring, that during that first visit, I just couldn't help gaping at the tall mud buildings on the side of the hills and the many palm trees and green fields in the valleys! I have visited Do'an many times, but whenever I do so, I still am filled with awe and wonder!


The Do'an valley is famous for its high quality honey; honey from Do'an - is always considered the best in the world, by Hadhramis. Hadhramis believe, no honey can match that from Do'an in overall superior quality. I too, agree! This has made the Do'any honey, the most expensive and most sought after in Hadhramout and Yemen as a whole; and wherever Hadhramis are found.

The Do'an valley, just like most parts of the Hadhramout valley, has a long history; predating Islam and Christianity. Due to being excellent businessmen, merchants from Do'an traveled far and wide doing trade; at the same time, peacefully spreading Islam too. Today, businessmen descended from those brave merchants of Do'an, can be found in almost all the major trading centers of the world: be it Wall Street or London, Singapore or Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta, Nairobi or Cairo, Dubai or Riyadh - they are there. Hadhramis are always reminded of the mesmerising, magical beauty of the Do'an valley - in popular Hadhrami poems and songs - by the most famous Hadhramy poet of all: the late Hussein Abubakar Al'Mahdhar. He too, came from the Do'an valley.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Salamaat,
oh Mashaallah it looks so gorgeous!!!

This makes my pining for yemen that much more heartwrenching.

Inshallah...some day.
Barsawad said…
You have to see the whole Do'an valley to appreciate its magic!

Popular Posts