The Next French Revolution

For me, France has always been a role model country. A country with one of the best constitutions and a unique democratic and voting system; and a people, though considered arrogant - a people, I have found to be most friendly and real fulfilling to know and befriend. Of all the 'Westerners' that I have known and come in contact with, few are as well read as the French; and knowledgeable about the world as they. And which other country has been the home for as many of some of the most known personalities and revolutionaries of our time, as France? Be it people in: politics or philosophy or arts or music - many of some of the World's most famous (or notorious) have at one time or another, made France their home: Khomeini, Picasso, Van Gogh, Stravinsky, Dali, Hemingway and even Pol Pot; and many others.

Soon: the French, this well read, cultured electorate - will vote to elect their next president. Whether Segolene Royal or Nicolas Sarkozy wins, is not of much importance now; may be for the French. Whoever wins, of the two, will be making history. And that person, will be the most powerful in France, who will be steering that country to/for the future. If it is Segolene, then she will be the first female French president in history, and if it is Nicolas - then, he would be the first Frenchman of foreign descent to head France. And either, would be leading France to a new era.

Can either, maintain the same independent France that De Gaulle gave France? Can either, continue having France as part of NATO and still independent of it, as before? Chirac stood firmly and determinedly against Bush's foreign 'adventures'; can either do the same? Since The Fifth Republic was formed, France has always symbolised liberty and freedom for its people and a multitude of others out of France; one can only hope that the next French president will make that symbol stronger and still meaningful.

Comments

Can either, continue having France as part of NATO and still independent of it, as before?

Part of a military alliance, but "independent" of that military alliance?

Only the French would think that is what the word "alliance" means :D

I don't like France much, but since you do, I won't say anything else.
Anonymous said…
Carig - you are entitled to your opinion; you must have a reason for not liking the French. But, after working closely with some of them for almost four years - I can say they are some of the most wonderful people on Earth. Prior to working with them, I too thought negatively about the French, but now I have some of my best friends from France. Friends who I can always call their homes, home.

France too, has an independence, culture and liberty that's unique. I find that most admirable.
Anonymous said…
The campaigning has ended. If I was French, who would I vote for? I like Royal very much; it's very hard to like Sarkozy, but hey - I too believe that he has what it takes to really shake, wake up and revolutionise France. The man would be the right choice for France.
ISKANDAR said…
I love reading your thought. Keep it up.

Regards,
Iskandar
Project AGLOCO

Popular Posts